Date:      Mon, 20 Apr 1998 19:37:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Stan Brown" <stanb@awod.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Mobile List)
Subject:   3C589 problems (with twisted pair only)

	Hi, I hav a 3C589 which has been faithfully serving me on my Toshiba
	Tecra for over a year now. I was never able to get the ayuto-detect of
	the cable type to work, so i just ran the 3com dos (shudder) config
	program and hard set it to coax. Now I need to make it work with
	twisted pair, and it won;t. It works fine under DOS if I set the type
	to twsited pair, or coax. It only works under FreeBSD if I hard set it
	to coax.

	Nothing seems to make it work for twisted pair wt FreeBSD. I have tried
	both the twisted pair, and the auto detect setings.

	I am runing 2.2-STABLE  with the PAO patches. The device confugres as
	ep0. What is interesting is that the boot message *alwats* says it
	configured for twisted pais, at least as I read it. Here is an example:

Apr 10 14:04:25 polar /kernel: ep0 not found at 0x300
Apr 10 14:04:27 polar /kernel: ep0: utp/bnc[*UTP*] address 00:20:af:c7:2d:af
Apr 15 12:08:36 polar /kernel: ep0 not found at 0x300
Apr 15 12:08:38 polar /kernel: ep0: utp/bnc[*UTP*] address 00:20:af:c7:2d:af

	Again, I get this message no matter howthe card is configured, but if I
	hard set it to coax then that wors.

	Can anyone sugest how to make this work? I have promised to solve a
	problem at work with this machine, and I am trying to show how usable
	FreeBSD is.

	Any sugestions welcome.

--
Stan Brown     stanb@netcom.com                                    770-996-6955