Date:      Wed, 23 Jul 1997 10:43:13 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        ac199@hwcn.org
Cc:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@FreeBSD.ORG>, pechter@lakewood.com, softweyr@xmission.com, freebsd-chat@hub.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FTC regulating use of registrations

[jkh feels expansive before lunch]

> Hmm...  Does this apply to cats, too?  ;-)

Sure does.  Wish I'd been at home when mine got knocked up rather than
on the other side of the country on a contract. :)

> Well, in Canada, its not a matter of "breeding to keep parity", but
> "breeding to prevent from disappearing".  If it weren't for
> immigration, our population would be declining (and we're not even

And why is there always this patriotic assumption that it would be
such a bad thing?  Populations have always moved around, the jet &
ship age simply increasing the speed of that migration, and I think
that the real problems stem from our attempts to stick to outmoded
ideas rather than truly adapting to the pace of social change we're
now experiencing.  We are, in short, living in a state of extreme
denial.

I would argue that rather than arguing for the perpetuation of
increasingly arbitrary genetic entities like "Canada", the most
logical solution would be to simply de-emphasize the whole border
concept and try to think of things more in terms of resources being
moved to wherever they need to go, be those resources human or
material.  The fact that humans have historically formed attachments
to geographic areas, subject to some of the odd location-based
nationalism that comes with it, should hardly be viewed as an
immutable facet of human existence and the fact that moving people
around has been painful in the past makes it no certainty that humans
cannot adapt (and with less pain) to a different lifestyle.

In transition this is a painful process to be sure, and many of
america's early nomads (largely people who moved around constantly
during childhood) have paid the price of being nomads in a global
society still poorly adapted to the idea of large-scale nomadism.
We're getting better at it, however, and while many may bemoan the
homogenization process which air travel has brought about (I.E. the
"McDonalds in Paris effect"), there's at least some comfort in the
fact that it's an inevitable step if you're looking at creating a
global society where anyone can essentially come from anywhere else
and find enough local anchor points (cuisine, language, etc) to be
comfortable.

I'm also not arguing against diversity, don't get me wrong - I'll be
as sad as anyone to see the "pure ethnicity" of certain regions
diffuse into discordant mosaics of every significant world culture on
the planet, but hey - I'm also a realist. :) The "backlash" problem of
immigration you point to, on a world-wide basis, is something which
merely requires attitude adjustment - there are no real technical
barriers to doing it and I think it's also something which we'll have
increasingly less choice about as time goes on.

					Jordan