Date:      Wed, 13 Apr 2005 17:14:52 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Lars Erik Gullerud <lerik@nolink.net>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?q?Dag-Erling_Sm=F8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeVRRPd project status

--0-206236866-1113405292=:96104

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005, Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav wrote:

> Charles Swiger <cswiger@mac.com> writes:
>> It's dead, I think:  Cisco's lawyers started making predatory noises
>> about their "intellectual property".  Some people from NetBSD are
>> working on a replacement called CARP, which you might want to check
>> out-- it seems that FreeBSD will be picking up support for this soon,
>> as well.
>
> CARP comes from OpenBSD, not NetBSD, and is already in FreeBSD.

=2E..and can't safely be deployed in a lot of datacenter scenarios where=20
the providers gear is running VRRP, since the OpenBSD-folks didn't bother=
=20
to read up on how the process of obtaining a protocol number works, and=20
hence used the one assigned to VRRP after a half-baked attempt at getting=
=20
one themselves. Hence making CARP pretty much useless for ISPs, no matter=
=20
how good it may or may not be otherwise.

/leg
--0-206236866-1113405292=:96104--