Date:      Tue, 27 Jul 1999 15:05:47 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.NoDak.edu>
To:        mike@sentex.net, rh@source.net
Cc:        atm@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NIC questions

our ATM code is in its infancy. the network stack and driver are in seperate
modules, but are written for each other. each package was driven by different
goals and funding. my pie in the sky observation is that we need to do is
integrate the packages and choose the seperate the stacks per virtual circuit.
ie VPI/VCI 0/40 is IP over ATM using HARP, 0/62 is native ATM using the WU
stack, 0/35 is MPOA, 0/92 is PPP over ATM, 0/44 is RFC1483, etc.

As best i can tell, it would be difficult to determine what the traffic
type is automatically like ethernet does, because there are no equivalent
to the ethernet type field in these protocols, though some sniffers
figure it out by watching traffic...I think we would have to have a
virtual circuit equivalent to "ifconfig" to set the protocol.

enough rambling.

on the wire:

there are different line stack protocols for LANEv1, LANEv2 (with or
without MPOA), PPP over AAL. even for RFC1483 SNAP/LLC has a routed and
bridged modes.

what you are trying to do:

sounds like you are trying to make a edge device. edge devices differ
for each protocol. FreeBSD does not have a LANE or MPOA stacks
(though the Linux stack has a Berkeley-style copywrite, that may be hammered
somewhere into our code seems possible).

PC as software switches:

the bad thing about using PC for small switches is that the cell interrupt
rate to reconstruct PDUs would make you want to use the ATM card's
Sequencer and Re-assembler (SAR). then you have to wait for the whole
PDU to be constructed routed and then re-transmitted. new latencies and
traffic shaping problems. you also have to be aware of the protocol that
you are routing (which may not be a problem if you are moving only IPv4
around).

home stations:

another driving force for ATM in FreeBSD is xDSL services. DSL uses SNAP/LLC
(which appears to be real easy addition) and/or PPP over ATM (a kernel-only
implementation would be moderately easy). some vendors claim support for
RFC2225 (was RFC1577) Classic IP over ATM and Native ATM, but IMO, these
are could-a, should-a would-a marketing talk.

these are all my opinions.

--mark.