Date:      Fri, 24 May 1996 08:43:24 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Karl Denninger, MCSNet" <karl@mcs.com>
To:        winter@jurai.net (Matthew N. Dodd)
Cc:        dennis@etinc.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ISDN Compression Load on CPU

> I don't think its unusual for the Ascend to be a better solution for this
> problem.  That doesn't mean that there is no place for unix based
> solutions.  Failure to consider ALL options can be expensive.
>
> > Now figure the fact that the $2,000 P130 price is a LIST price, and is
> > typically discounted 20-30%, that this thing draws something like 18
> > watts, and can literally be stuck on a wall near the Ethernet concentrator
> > that feeds your offices, while your "PC" requires not only a keyboard and
> > monitor (big and bulky) but draws a couple of hundred heat-producing watts
> > from the wall.
>
> I'm not going to use a PC as an office router.  However, if I put together
> a firewall/mailhost/caching-proxy/WWW/FTP server, for an end user, it may
> be worth the $1000 to put the sync card on that box and have a one box
> solution.  It all depends on what solution is best for the customer.
>
> For some problems FreeBSD is a viable solution to consider when you review
> all of your options.
>
> Have a good one.
>
> | Matthew N. Dodd   | winter@jurai.net    | http://www.jurai.net/~winter    |
> | Technical Manager | mdodd@intersurf.net | http://www.intersurf.net        |
> | InterSurf Online  | "Welcome to the net Sir, would you like a handbasket?"|

That's the point Matthew.

First, commercial boxes come with support.  Support that an ISP will NEED.

There is definitely a place for these things, yes.  But when you are operating
a company which is selling access to the PUBLIC, and those customers want
support and operational systems, you have to have a way to give it to them.

I'm not going to try to claim that there is no place for FreeBSD-based
routers.  There *IS*.

But to try to claim that they *replace* the typical CISCO solution, or the
typical end-user attachment solution, is nuts.  Two different targets, two
different markets.

I can live with some quirky problem, or work to fix it myself, in a Unix
machine that is being used as a file or compute server.  I absolutely
*CANNOT* live with that same problem in a core router on my network.  Among
other things, I screw *other providers* with those problems when they show
up on my core.

That is unacceptable.

And frankly, if the argument is "cheaper is better", I generally say "you
haven't considered ALL the costs."  I can always come up with a cheaper
solution if I leave a few of the costs out of the equation.

And yes, Dennis, I am a developer.  99% of the software running here,
including the entire FreeBSD-based authentication and database systems at
MCSNet, were written by me.  15+ years of experience in this industry.

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
Modem: [+1 312 248-0900]     | T1 from $600 monthly; speeds to DS-3 available
Voice: [+1 312 803-MCS1]     | 21 Chicagoland POPs, ISDN, 28.8, much more
Fax: [+1 312 248-9865]       | Email to "info@mcs.net" WWW: http://www.mcs.net/
ISDN - Get it here TODAY!    | Home of Chicago's only FULL Clarinet feed!