Date:      Sat, 14 Oct 2000 12:10:39 +0000
From:      "Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira" <lioux@uol.com.br>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
Cc:        Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira <lioux@uol.com.br>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: newsyslog.conf error on latest stable?

On Tue, Oct 03, 2000 at 11:49:34PM -0200, Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 04, 2000 at 01:49:02AM +0100, Brian Somers wrote:
> >
> > This really sounds like you haven't got version 1.25.2.1 of
> > newsyslog.c installed....  This was when the above format was added
> > and was committed to -stable on May 19.

[elided]
> /var/log/monthly.log^I^I^I640  12    *    $M1D0 Z$

> System message:
>
> newsyslog: malformed at:
> /var/log/monthly.log			640  12    *    $M1D0 Z

	Well, Ricardo Bueno da Silva <rbueno@ccuec.unicamp.br>, a
fellow brazilian with a similar problem, seems to have identified
the source of it. He luckily had 2 similar instalations with just
one of them functional. Therefore, doing a cross compare, he found
out  that the most noticeable difference was /etc/localtime.  Just
the broken one had undergone light savings (BRST).
	Unfortunaly, I can verify that, erasing /etc/localtime
seems to do the trick. Our timezone is BRT and we are undergoing
light savings (BRST). Perhaps, this information might prove
useful. Does anyone else can verify that?
	I can't seem to find anything wrong with the zone files
since all other binaries seems to be working. I can try a deeper
look but I can't promise anything. I am not a zone expert.

--
Mario S. F. Ferreira - UnB - Brazil - "I guess this is a signature."
lioux at ( freebsd dot org | linf dot unb dot br )