Date:      Tue, 21 May 1996 00:26:50 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org, jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        bde@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Annoying mtree messages..

>mtree -deU -f /a/src-current/etc/mtree/BSD.usr.dist -p /usr
>        gid (7, 0, modified)
>missing: ./src (not created: File exists)
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>These spew out intermixed with the creations and valid permission
>adjustments and make them hard to see.  I would like to propose that
>we make nuke all the "(not blah: File exists)" messages from mtree

>Any objections?

I object.  The underlined message is caused by 2 bugs.  First, your
./src is a symlink but it should be a directory.  Second, mtree doesn't
fully understand symlinks, so it doesn't check the tree under ./src and
it prints a stupid error message.

The 2 lines of messages about `local' is caused by a bug in the database.
/usr/local should probably be specified as being owned by root.wheel in
both BSD.usr.dist and BSD.local.dist.

Bruce