Date:      Tue, 24 Apr 2001 01:58:17 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Nik Clayton" <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "Szilveszter Adam" <sziszi@petra.hos.u-szeged.hu>, <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: misc/26744: Unable to send mail to FreeBSD.org from home and from work

Hi Nik,

  The topic of freebsd.org being open for e-mail submissions
is not a technical question and answer.  It is a
_political_ question and answer and is crying out for a
SIMPLE policy statement to clear the air.  But, I'm
CERTAINLY NOT going to make policy for a machine that
I don't even admin.

  The administrators of freebsd.org have not posted thing one
as to their intentions, there's no way of knowing if they
are even aware that the reverse DNS filter is on at all.  If
they had put this into the webpage IN THE FIRST PLACE then
it would have not only made their intentions completely clear,
but it would have also signaled that yes, they are even AWARE
that there's a problem at all.

  I did the best that I could with what material I had at my disposal,
which was _nothing_ other than a bunch of mailing list speculation,
and the purely speculative assumption on my part that yes, the freebsd.org
admins did know what they are doing when they installed the filter.  But,
there's absolutely no way of knowing if my speculative assumption is
even correct, until it gets posted on the webpage, that is.  For all
I know the list admin wasn't even aware there was a problem and they
are in the process of lifting the reverse DNS filter right this minute.

  Now, your criticizing my submission because I'm _expecting_ that
it will be rewritten?  This is absolutly rediculous.  Maybe I'm missing
it, but nowhere on any of the http://www.freebsd.org webpages that
deal with the mailing lists is a word given that a "valid DNS entry"
for hosts sending mail is a requirement for subscribing to the list.
Until such time as someone acts on this PR by modifying the webpage/pages,
there is absolutely no way to determine the intent of the listserver
managers here.  I certainly think it's reasonable to expect that they
will have something to say about this too so how could I possibly write
an entry that wouldn't be rewritten?

  Note that I DIDN'T SUBMIT THE PR and I don't know why
your complaining to me about it's title.  Your statement of:

"To be honest, a PR that said "The FAQ really should warn people that any
host they send mail from must have valid DNS entries"

is fine with me.  Now, can we please put this on the webpages
dealing with the mailing lists so that:

a) It's CLEARLY defined as policy  and

b) New subscribers know about this policy in advance and so
if their mail gets bounced when they attempt to subscribe
they aren't pissed about it and wasting bandwidth complaining
about it

Thanks!