Date:      Sat, 10 Jan 1998 12:44:12 -0600
From:      Karl Denninger  <karl@mcs.net>
To:        Wolfram Schneider <wosch@cs.tu-berlin.de>
Cc:        Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@cdsnet.net>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How are people handling lots of accounts?

On Sat, Jan 10, 1998 at 05:54:52PM +0100, Wolfram Schneider wrote:
> Jaye Mathisen  <mrcpu@cdsnet.net> writes:
> > With 50000 test accounts in master.passwd, it takes something like 10
> > minutes to rebuild the .db files, completely preventing anybody else from
> > doing anything password related.
> >
> > Is there anything that can be done to speed this up?  Changing the
> > password isn't too bad, only about 30 seconds, but adding takes forever.
>
> You can increase the database cache size from 4MB to a higher value in
> pwd_mkdb. See pwd_mkdb.c line 70. You must recompile pwd_mkdb for this
> change.
>
> Did you use the -u option?
> pwd_mkdb(8)
>      -u username
>            Only update the record for the specified user.  Utilities that op-
>            erate on a single user can use this option to avoid the overhead of
>            rebuilding the entire database.
>
> --
> Wolfram Schneider   <wosch@freebsd.org>   http://www.freebsd.org/~wosch/

We handled this problem (and I consider it a serious one) by replacing the
entire authorization system with a DBMS-based package written in-house that
uses encrypted data streams between the client and server.

This was a serious pain in the ass (and done incorrectly or with
insufficient redundancy screws you completely, as you then can't log in!)
but its worth it - our management is now centralized.  We still create
"fallback" pwd.db and spwd.db files from that database and distribute them
for the "emergency" case, but this is then a low-priority thing that can be
done at the "background noise" level.

For multi-machine environments you *have to* centralize things somehow, and
NIS just isn't secure enough for an ISP environment.

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - Serving Chicagoland and Wisconsin
http://www.mcs.net/          | T1's from $600 monthly to FULL DS-3 Service