Date:      Fri, 24 May 1996 09:06:43 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        "Karl Denninger, MCSNet" <karl@mcs.com>
Cc:        dennis@etinc.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ISDN Compression Load on CPU

On Fri, 24 May 1996, Karl Denninger, MCSNet wrote:
> First, commercial boxes come with support.  Support that an ISP will NEED.

I'm not going to touch this.  There are too many examples of crappy tech
support.

> There is definitely a place for these things, yes.  But when you are operating
> a company which is selling access to the PUBLIC, and those customers want
> support and operational systems, you have to have a way to give it to them.

I see no conflicts for those public access providers that choose to
use FreeBSD.  They are getting their support from themselves.  The
quality of that support is now on THEIR heads.

> I'm not going to try to claim that there is no place for FreeBSD-based
> routers.  There *IS*.
>
> But to try to claim that they *replace* the typical CISCO solution, or the
> typical end-user attachment solution, is nuts.  Two different targets, two
> different markets.

Hey, I'll take a stacked 7513 if your paying... Lessee, I'd like at least
6 ethernet ports, 8 serial, 2 HSSI and 2 FDDI...

Well, I don't really need all that, but if I wanted to replace the FreeBSD
based router on my network, I'd need a cisco 4000 with 2 4-port ethernet
cards.  I don't care HOW you roll it, that box is gonna cost LOTS more
than $2000.  I"m getting 4 port ethenet cards for $125.  At that price
I'll take a reboot a WEEK (hey, it comes back up in under 2 minutes) so
I don't have to lay out the capital for a $10,000 router.  I expect to
see uptimes on that box of 100 days or more, so I think that in my case
its foolish not to go with the FreeBSD box.  When I have the money,
I'll petition for some criscos, but who knows?  By then maybe I'll be
happy to keep the FreeBSD box.

> I can live with some quirky problem, or work to fix it myself, in a Unix
> machine that is being used as a file or compute server.  I absolutely
> *CANNOT* live with that same problem in a core router on my network.  Among
> other things, I screw *other providers* with those problems when they show
> up on my core.

This is true.  Broken things tend to suck.

> That is unacceptable.

Thats another way of putting it.

> And frankly, if the argument is "cheaper is better", I generally say "you
> haven't considered ALL the costs."  I can always come up with a cheaper
> solution if I leave a few of the costs out of the equation.

Given the choice between having a solution, and not having one, I'll take
having one any day, no matter how much I've got to babysit the thing.
When the budget becomes flexible enought that I can look at integrated
solutions, I'll do that.

> And yes, Dennis, I am a developer.  99% of the software running here,
> including the entire FreeBSD-based authentication and database systems at
> MCSNet, were written by me.  15+ years of experience in this industry.

Lets pretend that I've used my FreeBSD router for a whole year, and have
only rebooted it for maintainence, and it does EVERYTHING I need it to do.

Should I choose integrated solutions over the PC/FreeBSD solution just
because its got tech support?  I think the arguement that people are
trying to make here is that FreeBSD boxes ARE being used successfully as
routers, and that they work well enough to be taken seriously.

I admit that I don't have warm fuzzies like I would if I were using a
cisco, but at this point I can't do anything about that, and in time I may
get some of those 'warm fuzzies' about the FreeBSD solution.

We shall see.

Have a goodo one.

| Matthew N. Dodd   | winter@jurai.net    | http://www.jurai.net/~winter    |
| Technical Manager | mdodd@intersurf.net | http://www.intersurf.net        |
| InterSurf Online  | "Welcome to the net Sir, would you like a handbasket?"|