Date:      Fri, 16 Aug 1996 11:05:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Nameserver and 'rlogin' in 2.1.5.

On Fri, 16 Aug 1996, Thomas David Rivers wrote:
> You may have read my recent sendmail findings - where I related
> a different DNS problem...
>
> This has to do with rlogin.

Change your db.cache.  Listing the real root servers doesn't buy you
anything but trouble if your not connected.  Take out the real roots
and put in pointers to your own name servers.

According to DNS & BIND you should set up your own internal root server
which is only slightly more work, but I did it via db.cache when I was
UUCP connected and it seemed to work fine.

However, that was several years and revisions of named ago so the cache
trick may no longer work.  Worst case, make yourself primary for . and
add a db.root that looks a whole lot like db.water (see Internal Roots in
DNS & BIND for details).

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                    714 443 4172
 DPC Systems                                                  dan@dpcsys.com