Date:      Fri, 16 Aug 1996 14:10:12 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:        roberto@keltia.freenix.fr, ponds!FreeBSD.ORG!freebsd-hackers
Subject:   Re: Sendmail 8.7.5 issues (the sendmail in FreeBSD 2.1.5.)

> According to Thomas David Rivers:
> > What did I discover?  There's no way to tell sendmail to not use
> > DNS (it will be fixed in a "future" version.)
>
> There is.
>
> Use
>
> FEATURE(nocanonify)
> FEATURE(nodns)

 Aha!  Yep - that's what I used to do - but, if you look in the
READ_ME for this version of sendmail, under "Non-DNS based sites"
you find:

  Non-DNS based sites
        This version of sendmail always tries to connect to the Domain
        Name System (DNS) to resolve names, regardless of the setting
        of the `I' option.  On most systems that are not running DNS,
        this will fail quickly and sendmail will continue, but on some
        systems it has a long timeout.  If you have this problem, you
        will have to recompile without NAMED_BIND.  Some people have
        claimed that they have successfully used "OI+USEVC" to force
        sendmail to use a virtual circuit -- this will always time out
        quickly, but also tells sendmail that a failed connection
        should requeue the message (probably not what you intended).
        A future release of sendmail will correct this problem.

and, after a quick perusal of the m4 files, you see that nodns
doesn't actually do anything anymore... and there is no
way to have sendmail not do DNS...  in my situation, it always
failed talking to the name server, and then simply queued the
mail. (Exactly what is described in that paragraph....)

	- Dave Rivers -