Date:      Wed, 17 Nov 1999 15:30:21 +0100 (CET)
From:      Paul Herman <pherman@element-5.de>
To:        Geoff Buckingham <geoffb@chuggalug.clues.com>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: On which alpha platforms can I run FreeBSD?

On Tue, 16 Nov 1999, Geoff Buckingham wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 16, 1999 at 05:48:38PM +0100, Paul Herman wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Sorry if this is in a FAQ, but I've looked around on web pages and mailing
> > list archives and couldn't find anything.  I'd like to run FreeBSD on an
> > alpha, and need to decide which alpha to buy.  From INSTALL.TXT I see that
> > [...snip!...]
> > How do I know which is which?  Can someone help, or point me in the right
> > direction?  Thanks!
> >

> The PC* family are to my knowledge made by Samsung and sold to OEMs see:
>
> http://www.compusys.co.uk/alpha/mboards.asp
>
> as an example, I am sure someone else will know more about digital/compaq
> products.
>
> As a multia owner, I wouldn't recomend it for running FreeBSD :-(

Thanks for the tips!  That helped a lot.  I have the feeling that with the
right system, FreeBSD-alpha can be pretty stable -- at least it seems
that some people are content with their systems...

Does anyone have any alpha recommendations for a 3.3-stable
(apache/mysqld) server? -- stability is important.  Thanks!

Paul Herman
Netzwerkadministrator
+ element 5 AG - Sachsenring 69 - 50677 Köln - Germany       +   /  _  \
+ Tel:  +49-221-31088-0      Fax: +49-221-31088-99           +  |   ___/
+ Mail: pherman@element-5.de WWW: http://www.element-5.de/   +  |  |__/\