Date:      Thu, 9 May 1996 09:17:43 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Cc:        pchhibbe@attila.stevens-tech.edu (Parag Chhibber)
Subject:   Re: Different versions of FreeBSD

As Parag Chhibber wrote:

>         -RELEASE  : The absolutely safest version of FreeBSD  (currently 2.1)

To be correct: the last official release that has undergone the usual
quality assurance cycles, and that has been certified ``consistent''.

>         -CURRENT  : A newer version the the stable, basically a little less
> stable.

Not really.  -current and -stable have a common ancestor (this is
currently FreeBSD 2.0.5), at which point the -stable branch has been
split off in the CVS repository.  This was initially done with the
goal of releasing 2.1 as a bugfix-mostly upgrade against 2.0.5, but
without blocking further development.  The main trunk has been named
``2.2-current'' then, to make it clear that all new features will only
appear in an upcoming 2.2 release.

Later on, after 2.1 has been released, we decided to keep the branch,
and bring over further bugfixes from the main development into it,
without importing more new (potentially buggy).  The intention was to
keep this code base as stable as possible, that's why the name.

-current itself is simply the latest and greatest development source
tree, with all breakage and all that.  From time to time it might even
be more stable than -stable, ironically.

>         -SNAPSHOT : The newest "version" of FreeBSD.

No, as the name says, a snapshot of a development system, either taken
from -current, or potentially also from the -stable branch, though the
latter didn't happen yet.

> Is that correct?  If it is, then I guess if I want to start an ISP, I should
> start familiarizing myself with -RELEASE?

Start with 2.1-RELEASE, and have a close look to all bugfixes that
have been brought into the 2.1-stable branch.  For something like an
ISP, i wouldn't auto-add all bugfixes, but only apply hand-selected
patches (once you know they might be good for you, and you've code-
reviewed them to be sure that's what you need).

--
cheers, J"org