Date:      Fri, 16 Aug 1996 11:38:19 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
Cc:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem in 2.1.5 install and loopback interface.

Joe Greco wrote:

> So I am NOT the only person who feels this way  :-)
>
> Can anybody explain the reason that it is done the other way around right
> now?  It seems to me that if you specify something in /etc/hosts, there must
> be a really freakin' good reason for it, so why not have the system abide by
> your wishes?
I agree..
the first thing I always do on a new freeBSD machine is reverse
the bind/hosts entries in /etc/host.conf..
I believe phk found an instance where some broken program
didn't like that (was it sendmail?)
but overall, I make /etc/hosts small (strip the comments out) and always
read it
first..
I think hosts should be an over-ride and it should be used when DNS
is going to give the wrong answer for some entries so we have to correct
it in hosts.

especially name servers should do this..

julian