Date:      Sun, 4 Jan 1998 16:38:27 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Java Apps?

> Thats interesting however I would imagine that there is at least
> a small percentage of developers that will be willing to write applications.

Sure, and they've written them, and then moved them over to other
platforms.  The P3/P4 guys did that.

> We can start by defining small target goals for instance in my case I like
> my Pilot however I hate to run Win95 to just interface to my Pilot.

There are lots of Pilot programs already in the ports tree.  Why
re-invent the wheel?

> On a slightly bigger scale what we need is an application architect which
> can create an architecture such that tasks can be broken down to
> re-usable components similar to Java Beans.

Who is willing to do that, *AND* find people willing to bite off the
tasks he chooses?  I help organize 6 professional developers, and even
with $$ and a very exciting product we're developing keeping everyone in
sync. is difficult

Developing a 'significant' applications (which we have few if any for
FreeBSD) vs simple applications (which we have a huge number of) is akin
to managing a small office where there is no management vs. managing a
large office where there requires 'support' staff just to keep the
workers busy.  Once you get to the point where the overhead becomes
great enough that you require a person 'in the middle' to keep things
straight it becomes alot less fun and more work, and the people doing
the work no longer have as much freedom to do what they want, which is
less fun and more work.  When it becomes less fun and more work, you
must compensate them for that somehow, and the only thing I'm aware of
that works effectively for longs periods of time (enough to get the job
done) is $$, and there isn't enough in the FreeBSD users ranks to
justify developing a FreeBSD-centric application.

Nate