Date:      Sat, 21 Aug 1999 18:32:36 -0700
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Harlan Stenn <Harlan.Stenn@pfcs.com>, Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: REQ: Test /etc/rc clean-up

"Jordan K. Hubbard" wrote:

> >       The X also protected test from the case where the expansion included a
> > string like "-x", although with most modern implementations of test (or
> > shells with test as a builtin) this is no longer a problem.
>
> And certainly not in any of these cases. :)

	Right, I was just being pedantic.

> > I agree with some of your changes here, but can you explain your objection
> > to using case? My argument is that case is a builtin so it makes things
> > just a little bit cleaner, and more importantly it makes case insensitivity
> > for the options that much easier to implement which is a huge win in user
> > friendliness. For example, what happens to if [ "${pccard_ifconfig}" !=
>
> I don't disagree with any of this, but that radical a degree of change
> was simply not my intention with these diffs. :-)

	Ok, good. Like I said I think cleaning it up in general is a Good Thing
(TM). There is one other element of style that it would be nice to see made
consistent, namely:

if [ blah ]; then

as opposed to the various iterations of ] ; then, then's on a seperate
line, etc. Even using case for the variables there are still going to be
some test's needed.

> If we were to commit this, I'd suggest that we do my version first
> and then have a case-ify pass done 2nd, just so we have each option
> to chose from in the CVS repository should anyone express strong
> reservations at some stage. :)

	Yes, I was going to suggest the same thing. Wow... we are dangerously
close to a consensus on this. :)

Doug