Date:      Sun, 25 Jun 1995 13:42:36 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Announcing 2.0.5-950622-SNAP

: Dual boot, no and possibly never.  The "oops, I want to go back now"
: was covered in my previous message.

I'm curious why dual boot is a "no and possibly never"?  Windows NT
can install itself in such a way as I can boot either 3.1 or 3.5.
This is useful for testing to see if the new OS is sane enough (like
running make on the programs that you are developing, eg) and gives
you a way to back out quickly to a known good level.

Right now I have a 2.0.5R and 2.0R dual boot situation setup since I
can't afford to have my world badly broken.  One or two things broke
with 2.0.5R, so I'm waiting for the 2.0.5 cd to upgrade, since it will
likely be after my release schedule reaches a sane place.  They were
likely my fauly, but I didn't have enough time to track down the
causes, and just rebooted 2.0R.  True, I need two disks to do that,
but now that there are slices, I don't see a technical barrier to
having multiple BSD systems on one disk (maybe I'm blind to something,
however).

For R releases, it is no big deal, but for the SNAPs it is a much
bigger deal, since they are by definition more unstable than an R
release (put more precicely, the quality of SNAPs varies to a large
degree, some are solid, others are flakey.  The R releases are
basically solid).

Warner