Date:      Thu, 1 Aug 1996 22:25:11 -0400
From:      gwh@spiders.com (Gene W Homicki)
To:        Adam Furman <afurman@sunfire.j51.com>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: network card

Hello Adam,

 +---
 | I run a FreeBSD server runing 2.1.0 and runing it on a 486 dx4-100 with
 | 36mb of ram, 48 mb swap, a 1,3gig ide hardrive  and a LinkSYS Network
 | card.  My problem is the ping times on the network card are around .80
 | when pinging it self.  The config on that card is 0x300 and irq 5 using
 | le1 as it driver.  My problem is the other two servers in the isp are
 | getting around .20 when pinging it self and using a different driver.  I
 | would like to know what is wrong and what can maybe be done.  Please I
 | need help.
 +---

	I believe, and you cn correct me if I'm wrong, but the machine
you're running has an ISA network card, while the other machines at
the provider (TZ-Link) have PCI (or one has PCI and the other is
onboard ether in the Sparc2).

Are you having problems, or are you just curious about the differnece,
because you're still only talking about .2 ms vs .6 - .8 ms.  I see
the same difference between nmy PCI systems and ISA system, but have
had no problems with either one...

						--Gene

--
Gene W. Homicki                               gwh@spiders.com