Date:      Fri, 16 Aug 1996 12:48:35 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
Cc:        imb@asstdc.com.au, hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem in 2.1.5 install and loopback interface.

[
Your mailer is destroying email addresses.  I'm not even sure if I can
send to you directly, and I have to edit the To and Cc lines to avoid
bounces.
]

>  Hmmm,  let me restate this then...
>
>  That is, if you are a nameserver, and you are also a name client
> (i.e. you have an /etc/resolv.conf) you should use the IP address
> when configuring your interfaces, since you:
>
> 	1) Are a client so /etc/hosts isn't examined until after
>              a _long_ time out.

Unless you tell it to use /etc/hosts first.  Look at /etc/host.conf.

> 	2) Are the server the client needs to contact and
> 	   named isn't running yet.

See #1.

>   I see that the man page says:
>
>     When using the name server named(8),  this file provides a backup when
>     the name server is not running.  For the name server, it is suggested
>     that only a few addresses be included in this file.  These include  ad-
>     dress for the local interfaces that ifconfig(8) needs at boot time and a
>     few machines on the local network.
>
>  It's not that it won't work, it's just that we have to wait for
> a long time for the gethostbyname() request to time out before
> proceeding... if we used 127.0.0.1 we can avoid that wait...

True.  In any case, on my nameserver box I use *only* IP addresses for
configuration, since it avoids lots of problems with the whole hosts
vs. nameserver issue.

>  It was just a little spooky when I was setting up the nameserver,
> the machine would just sit there for awhile during boot-up
> and then proceed.

Modifying /etc/host.conf and putting in those names/addresses necessary
to boot your system should be adequate, but using IP addresses is a
better solution IMHO.

In my /etc/sysconfig on my DNS box, I add a field 'hostip' which is used
in place of 'hostname'.

# Set to the name of your host - this is pretty important!
hostname=ns.mt.sri.com
hostip=206.127.76.97

network_interfaces="lo0 ed0 ppp0"

ifconfig_lo0="inet localhost"
ifconfig_ed0="inet ${hostip} netmask 0xffffffe0"

Nate