Date:      Tue, 10 Jun 2008 09:16:43 -0600
From:      Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   wireless drops connection

--mYCpIKhGyMATD0i+

I've gone from using CAT5 to 802.11g for my laptop's network connectivity
while I'm at home.  Unfortunately, since I've done so, my connection
drops from time to time, and I usually don't notice for a while.  The
period between drops does not seem to be constant, however, as I lost my
connection at some point yesterday without noticing, but when I did
notice I reestablished contact, then lost my connection again a few
minutes later.  The connection has not dropped again since then, however.

I'm using an Intel 2200BG adapter (Centrino chipset) with WPA encryption
and the wpa_supplicant connection manager.  My wpa_supplicant.conf:

  ctrl_interface=3D/var/run/wpa_supplicant
  ctrl_interface_group=3Dwheel

  # netwerk
  network=3D{
    ssid=3D"netwerk"
    psk=3D"ssdpbwqaougj6hr9"
  }

(PSK changed to protect the guilty)

When the connection drops, I get the following in /var/log/messages:

  Jun  9 23:14:21 hostname kernel: iwi0: link state changed to DOWN
  Jun  9 23:14:28 hostname kernel: iwi0: scan stuck
  Jun  9 23:14:34 hostname kernel: iwi0: could not allocate firmware DMA
  memory

(watch the line wrap)

In case it isn't obvious, "iwi0" is my wireless interface.

All /va/log/dmesg seems to show is this:

  iwi0: link state changed to DOWN
  iwi0: scan stuck

Any ideas on where to go from here would be appreciated.  Is this a
driver bug, or am I doing something wrong?  Another (effectively
identical) laptop running Debian does not have this problem.

--=20
Chad Perrin [ content licensed PDL: http://pdl.apotheon.org ]
Bill McKibben: "The laws of Congress and the laws of physics have grown
increasingly divergent, and the laws of physics are not likely to
yield."

--mYCpIKhGyMATD0i+

--mYCpIKhGyMATD0i+--