Date:      Thu, 18 Jul 1996 20:26:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Thor Clark <thor@tab012.tabula.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   help -system hangs - the ongoing saga

(original problem detailed at end)
Some new info,
compiled a new kernel with DDB, and escaped into it after system hung -
many of the processes (including init) were waiting with

lock_write	f020e004

I continued a few times, and this didn't change
I don't know what this means, or what else I should be looking for...
I'm wondering if this is hardware failure at this point, but don't know
what to check.
Many thanks for any help (even a 'give it up' ;)
-Thor Clark
thor@tabula.com

PS (problem description)

problem:  After a few hours of activity, system will not start new
processes of any kind. It will respond to pings, but that's about all -
no telnet, login, http, etc.
Background and interactive processes continue to run, but killing off
interactive processes does not have any effect on the system - the only
recourse is to physically reboot. This is now happening every ~3 hours.

No kernel panic occurs, and no kernel messages are ever logged.  The system
has never recovered on its own ( down once for > 12 hours).

system: 2.1 Release (from cd) -  kernel recompiled, installed with

maxusers        128
options         "NMBCLUSTERS=2048"
options         "OPEN_MAX=256"
options         "CHILD_MAX=256"

16M, IDE, ASUS P55TP4, 3C509 ethernet

runs CERN3.0 httpd, sends out a lot of mail, a few minor
background processes, and a lot of short-term, cpu intensive scripts