Date:      Fri, 16 Aug 1996 14:49:35 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill/Carolyn Pechter <pechter@shell.monmouth.com>
To:        hackers@freefall.freebsd.org, dgy@rtd.com
Subject:   Re: hackers-digest V1 #1386

> From: Don Yuniskis <dgy@rtd.com>
> Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 08:57:12 -0700 (MST)
> Subject: Re: File System on a tape
>
> It seems that Alan Batie said:
> >
> > > With a file system on tape, you can boot and then just mount the tape
> > > and 'cp /tape/what/ever/you/want /wherever/you/want/it'.
> >
> > What's wrong with 'tar xvf /dev/rst0' for an installation?  Now for a
>
> Nothing!  *But* if you want to extract one *file*, tar sucks eggs.
> Also, you can't *run* a system off of a tar image (whereas you
> *could* mount a tape filesystem and execute whatever is on the
> tape!)
>
> > restore, it might be a useful model, but even there, it's just about
> > as fast to 'tar tvf /dev/rst0 > tape.list', and you can go watch a movie
> > in the meantime instead of waiting a few minutes to go to this directory,
> > a few minutes to that directory, etc.  It would be almost as bad as
> > navigating the web :-)
> >
> > I'm surprised I haven't yet heard mention of the DEC tape system.  I seem
> > to recall that they had a system (PDP-8 version?) that ran solely off tape.
>
> TU58's?
>
> - --don

Well, er TU55/56's were kind of reel-to-reel floppies.  512 byte sectors...
seeking, a kind of 8 inch floppy on a 3/4 tape reel.  DECtapeII
was something else.  Imagine the slowest seral storage device running
over a 9600 baud serial line.  The TU58 was an RS232 controlled QIC80
sized cartridge (preformatted only) with the same sectoring as the DECtape
and floppy drives.  It was designed as a load media for diags, microcode,
standalone embedded systems etc.

Think SLOW...

Bill

 Bill Pechter/Carolyn Pechter  | 17 Meredith Drive, Tinton Falls, NJ 07724,
 908-389-3592                  | pechter@shell.monmouth.com
 I'll run Win95 on my box when you pry the keyboard from my cold, dead
 hands.  FreeBSD, OS/2, CP/M, RT11, spoken here.