Date:      Tue, 31 Oct 2000 04:32:06 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Chris Fedde <chris@fedde.littleton.co.us>, <gummibear@nettaxi.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IP Address Management

Chris Fedde <chris@fedde.littleton.co.us> types:
> On Mon, 30 Oct 2000 14:48:35 -0800  "gummibear@nettaxi.com" wrote:
>  | Hello!
>  | I was wondering what other sys admins do about IP Address management.  By th
> at I mean, the way (or, which method is commonly used to apply addresses for di
> fferent devices) admins apply IP addresses to machines, printers, routers, etc.
>   This there a certian convention used?
>  | Anyways, I just wanted to know if there are any undocumented standards or co
> nventions to the application of IP addresses.
> It's realy a non-issue when you get right down to it.   These days
> the first machine I configure gets the first address the second
> gets the second and so on.  When devices become de-commissioned I
> simply re-assign the address to the next system that needs one.

One thing to watch for is things you may want to put on different
subnets later for some reason. For example, I have two classes of
machines on one C net. By reserver .127 and .128, and putting one
class on .1-.126 and the other on .129-.254, splitting the subnet
becomes trivial later. This also makes firewalls that distinguish
between the two classes of machines simpler.

	<mike