Date:      Sat, 3 Jun 1995 09:46:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        dawes@physics.usyd.edu.au (David Dawes)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hang problems

> >> Nope, the system is no longer running at this stage, it attempted to
> >> reset the CPU (either way, i think it first tries the keyboard
> >> controller reset, and then a CPU shutdown [wiping the page table
> >> directory, and flush the TLB]).  If the system is stuck at this
> >> point, only a hardware reset will help.
> >>
> >> Rod, ain't this your baby?
> >
> >Nope, my baby is very solid.  It is either a ``well reboot'' or
> >``won't reboot'', it is never a ``Every once in a while'' type
> >of problem.
>
> I've noticed that my new machine with an ASUS Triton board (PCI/I-P54TP4)
> falls into the ``won't reboot'' category.  Is this a known "feature" of
> these?

Yes, this has been fixed as of:
RCS file: /home/ncvs/src/sys/i386/i386/vm_machdep.c,v
----------------------------
revision 1.36
date: 1995/04/26 07:38:35;  author: rgrimes;  state: Exp;  lines: +14 -1
Add outb to keyboard controller to do a cpu_reset, this fixes 2 known
cases of motherboards that failed to reboot.

Though this is now causing other boards to have a problem which caused:
revision 1.38
date: 1995/05/18 09:17:07;  author: davidg;  state: Exp;  lines: +4 -1
Added "BROKEN_KEYBOARD_RESET" option to disable using the keyboard reset
in cpu_reset(). Some MBs don't deal with this properly.

Submitted by:   Rod Grimes