Date:      Mon, 22 Sep 2003 21:20:59 +0200
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-chat-local@be-well.no-ip.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: faulty memory

--xgyAXRrhYN0wYx8y

On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 02:50:16PM -0400, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl> writes:
> > I just had this problem, P4 on Gigabyte mainboard, DDR400 memory, 2 DIM=
Ms
> > of 512 MB each. With a single DIMM (both DIMMs tested) memtest didn't
> > find anything and the machine was rock stable, but in any combo of the
> > 2 DIMMs, dual channel or not, the machine would lock up / throw
> > gcc ICE everytime.
> >=20
> > When I ran memtest on the machine with both DIMMs in, it would consiste=
ntly
> > show errors in one 512 half though, and so I returned the one 'faulty' =
DIMM
> > and all was well.
> >=20
> > Talk about strange...
>=20
> Not that strange.  The second socket was having problems. =20
> Maybe just couldn't handle the capacitance load it was=20
> getting (which could be different with other modules;=20
> other sized modules, anyway).

Err, my sentence above tried to convey that, with both DIMMs in the machine,
running memtest produced consistent errors _IN ONE DIMM_. That is, I swapped
the two DIMMs and memtest started showing errors in the other 512MB.=20

In fact, the machine is running happily with the swapped DIMM in the same
socket that the faulty one had. So I doubt that it's the socket :)

--Stijn

--=20
"Linux has many different distributions, meaning that you can probably find
one that is exactly what you want (I even found one that looked like a Unix
system)."
		-- Mike Meyer, from a posting at questions@freebsd.org

--xgyAXRrhYN0wYx8y

--xgyAXRrhYN0wYx8y--