Date:      Mon, 28 Oct 1996 23:11:16 +0100
From:      regnauld@tetard.glou.eu.org (Philippe Regnauld)
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Base tree bloating (Was: ex/vi version 1.79 now available for anonymous ftp.)

J Wunsch (j) ecrit/writes:

> suffers from some bugs.  We better might find a way to update it by
> Perl 5, but with still leaving most of the bloat in an optional port.

	That makes it mostly functional for some, and half for others.
	I hate to think  about the discussion on  where to draw the line on
	what's 'in' and what's 'out'.

> > I have looked at the perl junk we have in the tree, all of it could be
> > rewritten in a very short time....
>
> Ick.  Of course.  We could also whack everything in C, or revert the
> entire system back to the V7 level.  Jordan doesn't need to write his
> new sysinstall in Tcl, either. ;-)

	Ok, maybe that  was not a  good suggestion :-P  I'm personally more
	than grateful for  th sysinstall work  Jordan's doing, to the point
	where  I don't mind having  TCL  in the source   tree.  Also TCL is
	widely accepted in the UNIX world (then again so is Perl...)

> We should agree that a modern system might come with modern tools, and
> rather seek to reduce the bloat to a fair limit.  E.g., Tcl is there
	There's the dilemma.

--
							-- Phil

-[ Philippe Regnauld / regnauld@eu.org / +55.4N +11.3E @ Sol3 / +45 31241690 ]-
-[ "To kårve or nøt to kårve, that is the qvestion..."          -- My sister ]-