Date:      Sun, 4 Jun 1995 00:58:15 +1000 (EST)
From:      David Dawes <dawes@physics.usyd.edu.au>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   My experience with the latest 2.0.5-ALPHA boot/install

This is with the boot image dated 3 June 12:06 GMT.

Problems/observations:

1. It sometimes gets stuck when attempting to redo things -- like return
   to the Partition screen, or redo ftp because of failure.  By "get stuck",
   I mean that vt0 is solid blue, with a white cursor in the lower left
   corner.  No text on the screen.  I can switch to the debug VT though.

2. non-anon ftp uses a relative path, and I was trying to use
   an absolute path.  If I add an extra '/' the absolute path works.
   Perhaps that's the way ftp URLs are supposed to work, and I suppose
   this is probably how it should be.

3. The ftp fails with "/stand/cpio: invalid header: checksum errors".
   This happened with bin at about bin.ac, and manpages at about
   manpages.af.  I checked the files on the ftp server
   (cat bin.?? | gunzip | tar vt), and they are not corrupted.
   At that point, I gave up on ftp, and used NFS instead (which worked
   better).  It wouldn't be failing to set binary mode when doing the ftp
   would it?

4. With the NFS install, it extracted bin, manpages, dict, compat1x,
   compat20, then said "Couldn't extract all of the dists.  Residue: 80".
   There was nothing on the debug screen to indicate what the problem was.
   In addition to those dists, I'd asked for the "info" dist (I did a
   custom selection).  I went back to the Distributions/Custom menu,
   and noticed that "Info" was still marked.  Trying again failed in the
   same way.

5. It'd be nice if the ntpdate server selection would allow you
   to specify something other than those on the list.  I can't access
   any of them on my isolated little network, but I like to keep all
   my machines in sync.

6. A very minor thing:  Looking at the timezone selector for Australia,
   the number for the last entry (10) has the '1' in red and the '0'
   in yellow.

7. When rebooting it complained about not being able to unmount /nfs
   because it was busy.

8. The "configure additional interfaces" lets you configure the same
   interface more than once.

9. I specified that a DOS partition should be mounted on /dos, but
   the mount point wasn't created -- this meant that the first boot
   failed to go multi-user.

10. Entries for the configured hostname(s) didn't get added to /etc/hosts,
   so there were some complaints at boot from route and sendmail.

Other than that, it all went smoothly :-).

David