Date:      Sat, 10 Jan 1998 19:38:58 -0800
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        Mikael Karpberg <karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make_device_driver.sh

Mikael Karpberg scribbled this message on Jan 11:
> According to John-Mark Gurney:
> > soon, when I've completed the bus/device code, then this will be possible,
> > but at the same time, the current LKM system will be replaced with the
> > kld system, so there won't be any "special" handling of dynamicly loaded
> > modules, just special handling of brain-dead not upgraded devices that
> > don't support unloading..
>
> I haven't really heard much about kld, or I have suppressed it. :-)

don't worry, there haven't been many message about it...

> Any info that you can give me (us?) on what it will be like?
> Will that allow us to do "load driver, probe, if not found - unload driver"
> stuff at boot time? So that all drivers in /drivers/ are loaded and probed,
> or something, which would make kernel recompile to add soundcard, etc, a mere
> memory, and be replaced by "cp"? :-)

yep...  it will allow all of this...  we'll probably use a daemon to
control all of this...  the big problem with doing a scan of the directory,
is that it is relatively expensive...  using a daemon would make this much
cleaner...

> As I said, any info would be appreciated. Maybe points to where it's been
> said before?

well...  the kernel/driver interface is described in:
http://d182-89.uoregon.edu/~jmg/FreeBSD/busdevice.html

I haven't speced the device that will be used to control/interact with
the bus/device code yet, but that will be relatively simple...

--
  John-Mark Gurney                          Modem/FAX: +1 541 683 6954
  Cu Networking					  P.O. Box 5693, 97405

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD