Date:      Thu, 29 Feb 1996 14:28:43 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
Cc:        FreeBSD-hackers@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD hackers list)
Subject:   Re: Can we get back to the original theme??

> Is it just me or is -hackers degenerating in to a babble forum concerned
> with A. Windoze chat and how much nicer the world would be if everybody
> used FreeBSD (agreed BTW ;-) and B. about the latest silly game ported
> to Linux (I could not care less...)

It's not just you, and it's not just -hackers that has become a
continuous, deafening uproar.

I'm probably gonna get flamed for this, but it's largely because
certain people on these lists (and I wouldn't hesitate too much in
singling out Poul or Nate this week) have stopped being careful with
their distribution lists and are now posting or participating in
threads-from-hell which span multiple mailing lists and aren't even
loosely focused on whichever appropriate interest group has already
been formed for discussing such things.  On a good day, I'm lucky if I
get away with reading a given message only once.

At the risk of educating the educated, here's our current mailing list
roster:

freebsd-announce         Important events and project milestones
freebsd-bugs             Bug reports
freebsd-chat             Non-technical items related to the FreeBSD community
freebsd-current          Discussion concerning the use of FreeBSD-current
freebsd-stable           Discussion concerning the use of FreeBSD-stable
freebsd-isp              Issues for Internet Service Providers using FreeBSD
freebsd-policy           General policy issues and suggestions
freebsd-questions        User questions
freebsd-doc              The FreeBSD Documentation project
freebsd-fs               Filesystems
freebsd-hackers          General technical discussion
freebsd-hardware         General discussion of hardware for running FreeBSD
freebsd-multimedia       Multimedia discussion
freebsd-platforms        Concerning ports to non-Intel architecture platforms
freebsd-ports            Discussion of the ports collection
freebsd-security         Security issues
freebsd-scsi             The SCSI subsystem
freebsd-admin            Administrative issues
freebsd-arch             Architecture and design discussions
freebsd-core             FreeBSD core team
freebsd-install          Installation development
freebsd-user-groups      User group coordination

I'll save you from counting - that's 22 mailing lists one might post
to, and certainly room for many different types of discussion.  Wanna
talk about firewalls or kerberos?  freebsd-security is your list.
Wanna talk about how icky the installation program is?  Send it to
freebsd-install.  Want to flame Linux in some highly gratuitous
fashion?  Well, we'd prefer you not, but if you must then freebsd-chat
is probably a good place for such senseless expenditures of effort.

In other words, at least half the crap you see flowing through
-hackers and -current right now does NOT need to be there, nor is it
being properly directed at the people who have expressed a genuine
interest in the topic at hand by adding themselves to the appropriate
mailing list(s).

Please folks, recognise that we're reaching one of those crisis points
again where we need to start clamping down on our own internal mail
traffic before another Great Exodus occurs.  I'm a hair away from
unsubscribing from -hackers again myself.

					Jordan