Date:      Tue, 11 Apr 2000 08:06:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Michael Schuster - TSC SunOS Germany <michael.schuster@germany.sun.com>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Import of tcsh into src/contrib/, replacing src/usr.bin/csh

:Kris Kennaway wrote:
:
:> The perception of new users is really a very big factor here - people who
:> spend any time listening to newbie comments (as opposed to just talking
:> about their 20-year old UNIX habits and how they're too old to change)
:> will know how much we Lose here when they're used to a system (Linux) with
:> a "friendly" default shell.
:
:I think there's a big difference between a default shell (read "for
:non-root users") and root's shell. I see no technical reason (and if there
:is, it needs to be amended) to not keep these two seperate.
:
:IMO, changing the root shell to anything but /bin/sh (esp. something as
:incompatible as *csh) is a bad move. There's just too much that depends on
:this.
:
:> Kris
:
:cheers
:Michael
:--
:Michael.Schuster@germany.sun.com

    Changing the root shell works just fine.  I've used tcsh as my root
    shell (here and at BEST) for years without any problems.

    My only issue is basically that I don't see any purpose to replacing the
    /bin/csh binary, and there are many pitfalls (like people beginning to
    write #!/bin/csh scripts that assume tcsh extensions).  Just have both,
    and if a few people think it wastes too much space well too bad, they
    can delete one or the other.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>