Date:      Sun, 28 May 1995 00:36:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        agl@mac.glas.apc.org (Anthony Graphics)
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: mount "features"

> On Sat, 27 May 1995, Bruce Evans wrote:
>
> > Date: Sat, 27 May 1995 06:28:16 +1000
> > From: Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
> > To: agl@redline.ru, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
> > Subject: Re: mount "features"
> >
> > >mount /dev/fd0 /mnt
> > >(on the write protected floppy) Well, getting tons of errors from the kernel,
> > >ok
> >
> > Mount (rw) and open ([r]w) don't check for writability.  The mount succeeds
> > and you get errors later.
> >
> > >mount -r /dev/fd0 /mnt
> > >/dev/fd0 on /mnt: Device busy
> > >:-0
> >
> > The device is apparently still mounted.
> >
> > >mount -r /dev/fd0.1440 /mnt
> > >ok :-0
> >
> > In FreeBSD, you can mount multiple times at the same mount point.  Each
> > mount gives another layer that hides the previous layer if the default
> > mount options are used.  fd0.1440 is different from fd0 as far as mount
> > can tell, so the mount is permitted.
> >
> > Bruce
> >
> Oh well, guys, I forgot to tell you that it was in 2.0-RELEASE
> kernel running on the 0412 distribution: so it's not too strange I suppose,
> well, still can't boot 0412 on the ASUS SP3G's NCR 53c810 :-[
                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That was the missing detail I needed to find your boot problem.  From
Boyd Faulker I have the following that made his system boot with
the ASUS PCI/I-483SP3G board and FreeBSD 950412 SNAP.  Still do not under
stand why this fixed it, but it did:

] OK.  I recompiled the boot floppy kernel numerous times and removing the
] wt0 and mcdX entries allows the probe to continue.  I have not unplugged
] my IDE devices, wd0 and wd1.

Try doing using the -c option to the boot and disable the st0 and mcd*
entries.  If this gets you past the hang with your NCR controller let
me know ASAP so that I can try to get a real fix for this.  I don't
have one of the boards here, and they are on back order with my
supplier :-(.