Date:      Fri, 24 May 1996 10:44:30 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
Cc:        dennis@etinc.com (Dennis), "Karl Denninger, MCSNet" <karl@mcs.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: The view from here (was Re: ISDN Compression Load on CPU)

> While I will not claim that my requirements are the same as very many
> others, you cannot dismiss them at just the ravings of a lunatic.
> I've put my money (more than $10M of it) where my mouth is.  Sorry for
> the long message; I'll take my UUNET hat off now, and go away quietly.

Nope, sorry Louis, but, like Cassandra, you must now be villified and
endlessly castigated for being correct. :-)

I've never made *any secret of the fact that I think that PCs are
nasty little pieces of silicon excreta.  Ill designed, ill conceived,
ill subsequently bred.  I daresay most people who've spent any serious
amounts of time trying to push the edge of the envelope with a PC feel
the same way.  There are also lists as long as your arm of all the
applications to which PC technology should _not_ be put, and the road
to success littered with the bones of those who would not heed their
warnings.  Pretty much all of the applications Louis (and Karl)
describe would be on that list for me - give me a dedicated router
with a fan as the only moving part any day.  I don't like getting
paged at 2am.

Have I said enough bad things about PCs yet?  No, I don't think so.
There's also the issue of Quality Control - two words you'll rarely
see stuck together in the PC marketplace.  You've got SCSI controllers
from Croatia plugged into motherboards from Togo talking to disk
drives that were purchased during a $0.10-a-megabyte special the local
discount merchant ran.  Several dozen failure-prone variables, at
least half of which have probably never been tested in combination.

If you look at, say, an HP 735 workstation in contrast then the
comparison is both striking and obvious - the HP was designed to work,
the PC was designed to sell.

However, I think it's also fair to say that PCs have sort of become
the plumber's tape of the computer industry.  You know that heavy-duty
grey plastic tape I'm talking about?  You can use it for everything
from repairing hoses in your car to sticking the neighbor's kid to the
ceiling and, if you ever need to tame a temporary cable run across a
carpet, it's positively a life-saver.  Used in the appropriate
situations, PCs are similar commodities.  I can think of a dozen
scenarios were a scrounged PC and a quick trip to the local computer
store would have a smile back on my face (and, more importantly, the
face of my employer) in less time than it would for me to navigate
cisco's phone mail system.  I can also think of situations where a
cisco is just plain over-kill.  For example, we have a PC here at WC
which has 5 ethernet cards plugged into it and does all the 100Mbit &
10Mbit network routing for us internally.  How does it work?  It works
just fine, and at much a lower cost than a similarly capable cisco box
would have.  Since the whole reason we _have_ 5 ethernet segments is
to put machines that like to talk to eachother a lot on the same
segments and reduce traffic to "inter-department" stuff only, this
little router does the job and it stays up pretty much 24x7, just like
our 2 ciscos.  There's also DNS, NIS, WEB, FTP and all the other
services you can host from such a box as "double duty" - things you
can't usually do with a dedicated router.

I hope that the PC hardware market will eventually come to its senses
and start producing some real high-end commercial quality stuff to
match the workstations.  Hand-selected components done by people who
actually know what they're doing, precision case design for both disk
arrays and CPU (I'd like to see totally different MB designs where the
PCI cards come in on rails), basically something done with
fault-tolerance rather than low-cost in mind.  Then maybe you'll start
seeing more interesting custom PC setups (with fancy serial-aware
BIOSes, no doubt) in the regional NAPs.

Just remember the plumber's tape analogy for now - using it to run
cables across a carpet is a fine use, taping together a substitute for
cable trays in your machine room is not. :-)

					Jordan