Date:      Fri, 16 Aug 1996 12:24:24 -0700
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@hpnmhjw.sr.hp.com>
To:        Bill/Carolyn Pechter <pechter@shell.monmouth.com>
Cc:        hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: File System on a tape

> Imagine if the folks with wierd IDE CD's could cut a tape and install
> from that before having to get hacked kernels.  I've had to make the
> floppy sets at times because of not enough DOS partition space
> to put the distribution.  If I could dd or tar to tape and install from tape
> it would be a great ease of installation issue at times.

     For the unsupported IDE CDROM case, it's easier to just provide a
way of making tar tapes from DOS, than it would be to support some form
of "TAPE-FS".

     For SCSI tape drives, it's real easy to make tar tapes from DOS, if
you have a SCSI controller that supports ASPI (DOS) drivers.  Just grab
"gtar-exe.zip" from:

	ftp://ftp.mcs.com/mcsnet.users/les/dos-gnutar/

All you need are a SCSI tape drive and ASPI drivers for your SCSI
controller (the drivers are optional with Adaptec controllers, and
available from the Symbios ftp site for NCR/Symbios-based controllers).

     -- Darryl Okahata
	Internet: darrylo@sr.hp.com

constitute the support, opinion, or policy of Hewlett-Packard, or of the
little green men that have been following him all day.