Date:      Tue, 27 Jul 2004 15:34:32 -0700
From:      Jay O'Brien <jayobrien@att.net>
To:        FreeBSD - questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Console 50-lines at bootup?

I ran FreeBSD for the first time last week; I have 4.10 working.
Following http://users.rcn.com/rneswold/fbsd-init.html I have set up
console fonts in /etc/rc.conf and set up 50-line mode in /etc/ttys.
I can use vidcontrol VGA_80x50 and vidcontrol green black from the
console to set ttyv0 or whatever virtual terminal I'm using.

I cannot make it set up the VGA_80x50 and 'green black' parameters
when booting up. I've tried many iterations of the text in
/etc.rc.local or /etc.rc.conf.local and I get errors and failures
to boot that forced me to learn about single-user mode to recover.
(Probably a good thing that I had to learn about single-user!)

I would like the system to boot up into VGA_80x50 and green on
black, and I'm stumped.

Jay O'Brien
Rio Linda, CA, USA