Date:      Fri, 18 Aug 2000 10:48:45 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>
Cc:        "'nate@yogotech.com'" <nate@yogotech.com>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: JCK License implications (was: State of Server-Side Java)

> > Given the fact that I'm not allowed to share how the tests
> > work or my results (other than YES/NO) or how it all works
> > due to licensing, I'm not sure why...
>
> Future discussion on -java:
>
> Nate: fourteen bugs to go!
> us:   Yay! What's the error message?
> Nate: Sorry, but that I cannot disclose. Licensing, you see.
> us:   Could we have a stacktrace then?
> Nate: Well, no. Licensing, you see.
> us:   Euh, Ok. Is it in Swing, can I reproduce it with a demo?
> Nate: Can't say. Licensing, you see.
>
> Hardly a community effort. :-/

Not my choice.

> I never realised that access to JCK would condemn you to fixing all the bugs
> too, Nate.

It'll condemn the bug fixing to those people on the porting team, which
now consists of those folks who actually understand enough of the JDK to
have submitted bug fixes and are interested in continuing to help.

Basically, we need folks who are actively pursuing and *fixing* bugs,
not just folks who are willing to beta test the product and just watch
over our shoulders to see how we're doing.

Having done this whole open-source/freeware thing for ~6 years, there
are *always* lots of the latter, and few of the former.

If you are interested in being on the porting team (which consists of
mainly Greg and I at this point, although in the JDK1.1 days we had a
number of other active contributors who have since quit working), we'd
love to have you.

However, in order to minimize the # of folks who have access to Sun's
licensed materials, we have to show that these folks have a reason to be
involved, other than just wanting to see the work in progress.

Nate