Date:      Thu, 11 Jul 2002 01:07:10 +0200
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@regency.nsu.ru>, Cy Schubert - CITS Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Package system wishlist

[moved to -chat]

Terry Lambert wrote:
> "The most recent updates" are only appropriate if I am keeping my
> base OS version updated as well.  I don't want to have to do that.
> I want to install a version that works and never update it ever
> again, except for security patches, until I have to face the 2038
> UNIX 32 bit seconds rollover problem.
>
> We Fear Change(tm).

[snip]

> I am refusing to go from 4.x to 5.x; or from 4.4 to 4.6.  Whichever.
> The important part is my refusal to change for the sake of change.

Then you'd have to convince the FreeBSD security people to issue fixes
for all branches, back to 1.0 or earlier, no?  (Equivalently, to
support version 4.4 until the year 2038.)  I still don't see your
argument for packaging components of the base system.  A binary from
FreeBSD 7.3 in 2006 is unlikely to work on your FreeBSD 4.4 system.

Microsoft did support Windows 95 for a long time, but they have a
rather less aggressive release schedule.

- Rahul