Date:      Mon, 26 Feb 1996 09:38:50 -0800
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        "'Christoph Kukulies'" <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>, "'Narvi'" <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
Cc:        "'hackers@FreeBSD.ORG'" <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Win32 (was:Re: Go SCSI! Big improvement...)

>But to bring FreeBSD to the desktop you need a bit more than just
>emulation - otherwise microsoft will be able to point and say - on the
>same hardware, FreeBSD runs all (counting, of course only windows
>programs) programs mmuch slowlier. And also have a thing to compare Win95
>against on the charts...

Well, TWIN (from Willows) runs pretty fast, even faster than "native"
Motif, it looks like.  And I don't see how FreeBSD could turn out slower
than NT (which has to go through a "client-server" scheme for every API
call.)  I think that with a library such as TWIN, and enough programs
compiled "natively" (as well as binary emulation for the rest), and don't
forget MFC/C++ support, you would turn out as good or better than NT, and
even Win95.

>Ever tried Tcl/Tk? You can do the same under FreeBSD/XFree86 in at least
>the same time + the tools are free.

Tcl/Tk sounds interesting, I would like to find time to learn that.  I hope
it is simpler than Motif to come up with a good interface (no $3000 GUI
builder tools needed?).  The thing is that with VC++ and MFC, you can come
up with a VERY pretty user interface with VERY little work because most of
the work has been done by the application framework.  You can achieve
almost as good results with Motif with a $3000 GUI builder but sometimes
the GUI builder itself is very unintuitive, and certainly doesn't help you
MAINTAIN the program it generates as much as VC++ does with ClassWizard.

---Jake