Date:      Sat, 3 Jun 1995 13:20:45 -0400
From:      Temptation <temp@temptation.interlog.com>
To:        David Dawes <dawes@physics.usyd.edu.au>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: My experience with the latest 2.0.5-ALPHA boot/install

On Sun, 4 Jun 1995, David Dawes wrote:

> This is with the boot image dated 3 June 12:06 GMT.
>
> Problems/observations:
>

> 3. The ftp fails with "/stand/cpio: invalid header: checksum errors".
>    This happened with bin at about bin.ac, and manpages at about
>    manpages.af.  I checked the files on the ftp server
>    (cat bin.?? | gunzip | tar vt), and they are not corrupted.
>    At that point, I gave up on ftp, and used NFS instead (which worked
>    better).  It wouldn't be failing to set binary mode when doing the ftp
>    would it?
Only have this problem with last file in bin, and someone noted that it's
looking for 59 instead of the 60 (easy for jordan to fix )

> 4. With the NFS install, it extracted bin, manpages, dict, compat1x,
>    compat20, then said "Couldn't extract all of the dists.  Residue: 80".
>    There was nothing on the debug screen to indicate what the problem was.
>    In addition to those dists, I'd asked for the "info" dist (I did a
>    custom selection).  I went back to the Distributions/Custom menu,
>    and noticed that "Info" was still marked.  Trying again failed in the
>    same way.
Hmm, same problem I have, also Xfree if you marked that as well, but
Jordan also knows about that too.

> 7. When rebooting it complained about not being able to unmount /nfs
>    because it was busy.
Yep same thing.

> 8. The "configure additional interfaces" lets you configure the same
your right, I did to it twice, and what it ended up doing was adding
everything twice to sysconfig.

> 9. I specified that a DOS partition should be mounted on /dos, but
>    the mount point wasn't created -- this meant that the first boot
>    failed to go multi-user.
this one has been fix for me.

> 10. Entries for the configured hostname(s) didn't get added to /etc/hosts,
>    so there were some complaints at boot from route and sendmail.
when you do a dos part. You then have to go Config and setup you network
card, when doing NFS or FTP it sets it up for you. I forgot about that
the first time I tried the Dos part, nothing reminds you about setting it
up network access, This ain't DOS ;)