Date:      Wed, 23 Jul 1997 12:22:21 -0700
From:      Pedro Giffuni <pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@FreeBSD.ORG>, pechter@lakewood.com, softweyr@xmission.com, freebsd-chat@hub.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FTC regulating use of registrations

Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> There is a far easier solution to this problem, of course:
> Don't &%$!@#* reproduce!

The poor population around this countries consider that having children
actually is an insurance policy for the future... the so-called
"nuclear-family" also means your children will maintain you in the
future. That "don't reproduce" issue is a personal issue that has moral
an even religious implications.
In general the USA has many contrasts in their people. Many
north-americans are plainly stupid, others are simply brilliant, I have
never understood how such a variety can exist. I also don't understand
well how they go from joke to deadly serious in the same sentence.
In the rest of the countries everyone seems to have the same
intelligence levels, but education makes the difference.

> I also don't buy the argument that Americans have to breed in order to
> keep parity with some of the other countries who are knocking out new
> babies faster than an army kitchen breeds roaches.  If our domestic
> population should start declining, and that's something I rather doubt
> could happen in any case, we can always just bump up immigration
> quotas another notch and bring in the educated top percentage of
> whichever countries have the greatest surplus.  Even assuming a very
> small percentage of educated citizens in any given 3rd world country,
> the supply is still great enough (and the attractiveness of moving to
> a less overcrowded country high enough) that I think it's likely to
> stay a "buyer's market" for some time to come.

*sight* Jordan is broken again...You as many other US citizens still
don't get it: You cannot control which persons actually get into your
country. Humans are sedentary by nature, we simply don't go elsewhere
because we live very well here: we have excellent food, excellent health
services, satellite TV, beautiful and faithful women, pure air (well
this is changing :-(), and some of us are even subscribed to FreeBSD :).
Why would we go to the USA? Only the people with very low level of
education that can survive doing stupid jobs like cutting the grass in
your lawn would want to live there.
Last time I went to the USA everyone wondered just how I speaked two
languages, where did I learn to operate a refrigerator or a TV without
RTFM, and if our primary mean of transportation were trees.
Everyone kept asking me to stay in the US, well believe me NY is not
very different from Bogota...Actually NY is more dangerous and it has
more drug addicts. I have never seen cocaine in my life, except on TV !

Pedro.