Date:      Fri, 16 Aug 1996 12:52:12 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        dan@dpcsys.com (Dan Busarow)
Cc:        ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Nameserver and 'rlogin' in 2.1.5.

> Change your db.cache.  Listing the real root servers doesn't buy you
> anything but trouble if your not connected.  Take out the real roots
> and put in pointers to your own name servers.
>
> According to DNS & BIND you should set up your own internal root server
> which is only slightly more work, but I did it via db.cache when I was
> UUCP connected and it seemed to work fine.
>
> However, that was several years and revisions of named ago so the cache
> trick may no longer work.  Worst case, make yourself primary for . and
> add a db.root that looks a whole lot like db.water (see Internal Roots in
> DNS & BIND for details).

config_net?

Partial decision tree:

START	ASK "Do you have an internet connection?"
	YES	-> YES_IC
	NO	-> NO_IC

YES_IC	ASK "Is your connection up all the time?"
	YES	-> PERM_IC
	NO	-> TRAN_IC

PERM_IC

TRAN_IC	.

NO_IC	ASK "Do you have a local network?"
	YES	-> CFG_LC
	NO	-> END_A

CFG_LC	ASK "Are you going to centrally administer host/address assignment?"
	YES	-> CFG_LC1
	NO	-> CFG_EH

CFG_LC1	ASK "Is this machine going to be the primary administrator?"
	YES	-> CFG_DNS ( primary )
	NO	-> CFG_LC2

CFG_LC2	ASK "Is this machine going to be a backup for the primary?"
	YES	-> CFG_DNS ( secondary )
	NO	-> CFG_DNS ( client )

CFG_EH	// configure /etc/hosts...

END_A	SAY "You should not to run config_net"
	STOP