Date:      Thu, 18 Jul 1996 22:04:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        WSNAdmin@aol.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing

On Thu, 18 Jul 1996 WSNAdmin@aol.com wrote:

> I am installing from floppies (ok, so I'm taking the hard way) and I
> installed the /bin and /man files,  how would I later install the /src
> binaries from a DOS floppy.  I read something about the build is organized so
> that one can install other parts of the system (except for the src files)
> from an NFS mount.  I would hate to have to re-install again.  It seems, by
> reading the literature, that I can make or build the binaries....or are they
> already compiled and all I have to do is install.

If you didn't install them the first time, then you have to do it
manually.  Luckily, it's not hard to do manually.  I'm assuming you're
installing the kernel source (the ssys.* archives).  Adjust filenames as
necessary.

su to root.
get all the archives in one place (mounting/copying floppies as necessary)
run 'cat ssys.* | tar tzf - | more' to see where it will go
cd to proper directory
run 'cat ssys.* | tar xzf -'

Hope this helps.