Date:      	9 May 1996 14:40:17 GMT
From:      gruner@informatik.tu-muenchen.de (Armin Gruner)
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New 4.4BSD book - group buy

Who is interested in a group order inside GERMANY? I would offer to
organize it.

Regards,
      Armin <ftp-admin@leo.org>
                                                                     ____
                    Armin Gruner, Technische Universitaet, Muenchen  \  /
                    http://www.leo.org/~gruner/                       \/
                    Nur wer sich aendert, bleibt sich treu - Wolf Biermann

Chuck Robey (chuckr@Glue.umd.edu) wrote:
: OK, this is about the recently released Addison Wesley book, The Design
: and Implementation of the 4.4BSD Operating System, by McKusick, Bostic
: Karels, and Quarterman.
:
: I called Readme.doc, and they said they would be happy to offer a
: discount, and yes, they would let the agregate of however many FreeBSDers
: order count against one big discount pool.  They said that they'd be
: happy to arrange shipping, tho they would charge $3/per person shipping.
:
: What they want is me to get a list of folks together who want to buy it,
: so that they can estimate the cost.  The book runs (full price) $48.37,
: and Readme.Doc's discount is:
:
: 1-5 books	20 percent off
: 6-20 books	23 percent off
: 21-50 books	25 percent off
:
: I didn't ask about any more, but it keeps on in like fashion.  They said
: that they DO handle European shipping, but it's very expensive on a
: book-by book basis.  They suggested that maybe someone in Europe could
: get all the books (shrinking the shipping costs) and then re-ship there,
: to cut the costs.  I'm in Maryland, so I can't do that, someone in Europe
: is going to have to volunteer that.
:
: If you want the book, send me Email about it.  Make sure you have a good
: email return address.  Don't send me money, don't send anything like
: that, I'm just supposed to get names/numbers.  I will send back payment
: instructions when I think I have got everyone (1-2 weeks probably).  For
: folks inthe US, this probably means you'll end up calling Readme.Doc
: direct, giving them a credit card number, and referencing the FreeBSD
: group-buy.  I'm just supposed to get names so they can figure a discount
: to offer.
:
: I'll repost when I get more info, when I get an idea how many folks want
: to do this.  I have several folks already mailing me, even before I knew
: Readme.Doc would do this.  For your info, I've been using Readme.Doc for
: some time now, because they discount Unix books (like the 4.4BSD manuals
: they sold me, and various other O'Reilly books I didn't have to pay full
: price for).  I have never had anything but good service from them.
:
: ==========================================================================
: Chuck Robey chuckr@eng.umd.edu, I run FreeBSD-current on n3lxx + Journey2
:
: Three Accounts for the Super-users in the sky,
:   Seven for the Operators in their halls of fame,
: Nine for Ordinary Users doomed to crie,
:   One for the Illegal Cracker with his evil game
: In the Domains of Internet where the data lie.
:   One Account to rule them all, One Account to watch them,
:   One Account to make them all and in the network bind them.
:
: