Date:      Fri, 16 Aug 1996 22:40:18 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Cc:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com (Joe Greco)
Subject:   Re: Routed supports variable-length netmasks?

As Joe Greco wrote:

> I found under FreeBSD, um, I think 2.0.5R that this didn't work real well
> because route did additional checks for root permissions (I believe I got
> around it by forcing the uid and euid to 0, or something like that).

I've also noticed this, and even intended to ``fix'' it some day.
Anyway, when i was ready with the ``fix'', i noticed that i was just
about to actually break it...  route does already run setuid root, in
order to work with the routing socket.  So it tests for the real UID
of superuser to decide whether it is allowed to _manipulate_ routes.
So everybody can do a ``route get'', but only processes with a real
UID of 0 can ``route add''.

If the calling processes effective UID is already 0, it is free to
also change the real UID to 0 before calling `route' -- much unlike a
regular user, who is not allowed to do this.

--
cheers, J"org