Date:      Fri, 9 Aug 1996 10:56:22 +0300 (EET DST)
From:      Seppo Kallio <kallio@cc.jyu.fi>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   gimp

Could someone having Motif compile gimp for FreeBSD. Now there is only
linux a.out and ELF avalable for us FreeBSD users.

http://www.XCF.Berkeley.EDU/~gimp/gimp.html

I think gimp looks great!!!

Funny that people in Berkeley build software to Linux and not even compile
it for BSD Unix! Is BSD unix loosing it's "magic" even in Berkeley itself?

Seppo

PS.

The GIMP's functionality includes:

     Support for 8, 15, 16, & 24 bit displays
     Ordered and Floyd-Steinberg Dithering for 8 bit
     RGB, Grayscale, & Indexed color modes
     Multiple views of same image to ease complex tasks
     Fast zooming and panning on images
     Full suite of selection tools - (rectangle, ellipse, freehand, fuzzy,
bezier, intelligent)
     Transform tools - (rotate, scale, shear, flip)
     Crop, color picker, bucket-fill, blend, & text tools
     Paint tools - (paintbrush, airbrush, clone, blur, sharpen, convolve)
     Full set of brush masks and support for arbitrary brushes
     File format support - (jpg, tif, gif, png, xpm)
     Numerous effects filters - (blur, edge detect, pixelize, ...)
     Channel operations - (add, composite, blend, ...)

A call to all programmers!

A good deal of the GIMP's functionality is invested in external modules,
called plug-ins. These independent programs are called from
the GIMP to run as separate processes and carry out essential tasks such
as loading and saving images, running effects filters, combining
multiple images with channel operations, and communicating with other
programs (such as scanning software, ray tracers, other image
manipulation packages, etc). There are in fact so many things that we
expect to accomplish with plug-ins, that we don't have a fraction
of the time required to see them written. We expect that there are some
really sharp folks out there with esoteric knowledge on such
subjects as creating a realistic lens flare filter - something neither of
us has the slightest idea about, but would love to see implemented.
So, we're asking you, assuming you have interest in augmenting the GIMP's
functionality, to get in touch with us about filters you'd like
to write. One thing that will really help get things rolling will be the
addition of a "plug-in writing" tutorial to our growing set of tutorial
pages.