Date:      Sat, 14 Oct 2000 18:02:43 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@ca.freebsd.org>
To:        Jason Neumann <lantech@alaska.net>
Cc:        Stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: cvsup status

On Fri, 13 Oct 2000, Jason Neumann wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a mirror for cvs. I have been using
> cvsup1.freebsd.org, but it seems to have been perpetually busy for about
> a week (too many users). I used to cvsup daily at 2:00am as part of my
> daily.local, but I haven't had much luck getting on (day or night).

Start by running some pings and traceroutes against cvsup*.freebsd.org.
Sort by latency and hop-count and try them in order. If one busies out
regularly, go to the next one on the list. Repeat until you find one that
you're happy with. You can also try adjusting when cron runs the cvsup
job.

Since network topography is more important than geographical location
people in the US might also want to include the Canadian mirrors
{cvsup,cvsup2}.ca.freebsd.org in the list of candidates. (And vice versa.
For example, I'm located in Edmonton, Alberta. From a network standpoint
the west coast of the US is almost always "closer" to me than, say,
Toronto, is.)

--lyndon