Date:      Fri, 16 Aug 1996 22:27:58 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Cc:        ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com (Thomas David Rivers)
Subject:   Re: Nameserver and 'rlogin' in 2.1.5.

As Thomas David Rivers wrote:

> Now, if I'm on lakes and issue:
>
> 	rlogin ponds
>
> I have to wait for a nameserver timeout before the rlogin completes.
> (Of course, since I can't contact the top domain servers - this takes
> a *long* time to timeout...  I'm not connected to the "real" internet
> very often.)
>
> But, if I'm on ponds and say:
>
> 	rlogin ponds
> 	  or
> 	rlogin lakes
>
> I get no problems (real fast - no waiting on DNS.)

Make your secondary a slave server that forwards all requests to the
primary.  There's no reason why a nameserver needs to get access to
the root servers every hour or so, and as you can see on your primary,
it works fine with the cached data from the Internet.  I'm using a
very similar setup (except, i don't have a secondary name server,
since i don't need it), and i've made my name server a secondary for
many zones i used to contact fairly often (e.g., including the zone of
my employer, and the freebsd.org zone), so queries for these zones can
be answered authoritatively.  Queries for all other zones will be
cached as well (but time out quickly, compared to the secondary
zones).

Now, your secondary tries to start lookups on its own behalf, since it
has been told to be a full-featured server.  Since its traffic is not
and cannot be routed, it eventually times out.  However, if you make
it a slave server that benefits from the cache of the primary server,
it won't ever start queries to outside on its own, and forward all
queries to the primary instead.  Since you know that the primary
usually works well (as long as you're connected to the net at least
about once per week), this should do the trick.

Ah, here's the trick:

forwarders 10.0.0.1
slave

(in named.boot)