Date:      Tue, 20 Oct 1998 15:40:05 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com>
To:        grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need a name for the vinum daemon

Greg Lehey wrote:

> >> I don't really see the connection with wine, either.
> >
> > There's a very strong one, actually.
> >
> > The "maenads" (or "Bacchantes") were female followers of
> > Bacchus/Dionysus. They'd get rip-roaring drunk and were
> > rumored to attack men, tearing them to shreds. Pretty
> > demonic.
>
> Ah.  This might be a slightly popularized version.  In fact, they got
> high on laurel leaves.

Actually the usual classicist explanation for the _enthousiamos_
("possession") which occurred during Dionysiac _orgia_ (no need to
translate *that*) was darkness, torch light, rhythmic dancing, music,
and (fairly definitely) wine.

Though I believe the Maenads of the Holy Albino (affiliated with
the Jihad to Destroy Barney the Purple Dinosaur[tm]) advocate
"unhealthy snacks".

--
Robert Nordier