Date:      Fri, 19 Jul 1996 02:11:28 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@freenet.hamilton.on.ca>
To:        WSNAdmin@aol.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing

In Email, WSNAdmin@aol.com wrote:

> And learning is why I'm writing.  I'll cut to the chase and I'm sorry for
> bugging you.

It's good to be a little hesitant before asking a question, but I think
being "sorry" is a little bit of overkill... :)

> I am installing from floppies (ok, so I'm taking the hard way) and I
> installed the /bin and /man files,  how would I later install the /src
> binaries from a DOS floppy.  I read something about the build is organized so

Do you mean install the src distrib (from floppies) after having installed
the rest (well, bin and man)?  I _think_ that 2.1.0R will let you run
/stand/sysinstall, choose "custom", select the distribs you want, and
then choose the "extract-only" option.

> from an NFS mount.  I would hate to have to re-install again.  It seems, by
> reading the literature, that I can make or build the binaries....or are they
> already compiled and all I have to do is install.

Well...it depends...It's all precompiled, but, for example, if you want
to customize your kernel (quite likely) you'll have to recompile it
from.

> great operating system.  I'm sorry to have been a pest, I'll go out and try
> to find one of the basic books listed in the faq.

Don't be too sorry -- I suspect there are some people on this list who
live to do nothing other than answer questions!  ;)

--
The one and only usenet god : Email god@heaven.com

asdlfjalsdflkjasdlkfjasdkl;fjasdl;kjf

my new signature!