Date:      Tue, 21 Jul 1998 20:45:19 -0400
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <ac199@hwcn.org>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, Bill/Carolyn Pechter <pechter@shell.monmouth.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "Open Source Town Meeting" supports only one faction

On Tue, Jul 21, 1998 at 03:03:16PM -0600, Brett Glass wrote:

> They even oppose the notion of "Open Source" software; see
>
> http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html

Your comment is somewhat misleading...

That reference is a specific attack on Eric Raymond's preferred set of
lingo.

I think the below-quote basically sums the reference:

"The obvious meaning for ``open source'' is ``You can get the source
 code.'' This category is distinctly not the same as free software."

I think most of us will agree with that.  Especially those of us who
have argued in the past that GNU software is not free software.

On a related note, I'm not sure what I think of their Free Software
Award, but if _someone_ has to win that, it sure would be cool (and
probably a good thing in a grand universal-harmony sense) to see
someone from the "BSD camp" win that.  Isn't chairman of the award
committee Peter Salus known to prefer BSD (sans advertising clause)
license?

> Contributing to the FSF discourages cooperation, as it openly disparages
> all other forms of "open source" software (again, see the Web page cited
> above).

Try again.  You could probably find some web page showing that the
FSF disparages all other forms of "open source" software, but that is
_definately_ not it.

> >Can you imagine the screams if the Linux folks were told a part of the
> >take was going to support the Freebsd or NetBSD project.
>
> Why shouldn't we scream just as loudly? Supporting FSF *is* supporting
> Linux.

Unfortunately, I think this is true.  The problem, though, is that of
all the _creditable_ organizations I can think of offhand, the FSF is
the only one even close to supporting all free software.  I trust esr
to administer money quite a bit less than I trust rms, for example.

--
This .sig is not innovative, witty, or profund.